Skip to main content

Am i entitled to compensation and a lawsuit i had 2 injuries on the job if so what could it be worth

Chicago, IL |

i am a package handler i was moving packages and it listed 24lbs the package never bulged it was found that it weighed over 100lbs in the process of my trying to lift i felt something snap in my back i informed my supervisor they sent me home the next day they sent me to their docto which stated i had a slight sprain n for me to continue work on light duty (lifting 35lbs and under) the next week pain in my wrist started to flare up so i went to hospital i was than given a specialist which also saw my back injury my diagnosed hernia and a bulging disks in my back and also strained ligaments in my wrists which my doctor confirmed was because of my back injury. i was missed diagnosed by my job physician and because of that my injury has gotten worser they refuse to pay my time off work

Attorney Answers 6


You have a very serious injury and that would be foolish for you to pursue this without experienced counsel. I would advise that you speak with more than one attorney before you sign anything. Make sure that any attorney you choose has the knowledge and will spend the time to answer your questions and allow you to make informed decisions. Good luck.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

6 lawyers agree


I strongly suggest you contact an attorney that concentrates in workers' compensation claims. You may be in for a rough road ahead of you if your employer is refusing to accomodate your restrictions or is not paying you for your doctor-ordered time off.

It is entirely too early to guess how much your injuries could be worth. That said, contacting an attorney will ensure that your rights under the Workers' Compensation Act are protected and that you aren't railroaded by your employer's insurance carrier (who, you should know, has plenty of lawyers at their disposal). Your attorney will help you settle this matter or take it trial once you are done receiving medical treatment.

There are great attorneys on this site. I would be happy to discuss matters further if you wish.

Best of luck!

Please note that this answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or an offer to form an attorney-client relationship. It is always advisable to seek the help of an attorney licensed in your state before proceeding on any legal matter. Please feel free to contact me with the information listed below. Good luck! Napleton Law, Ltd. 312.255.0115

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Your sole remedy in Illinois for injuries on the job is a claim against your employer under the Workers' Compensation Act. You cannot sue your employer in a court of law.

That said, from the facts you provide, you may very well have one or two separate comp cases. However, inasmuch as they are being denied, I strongly encourage you to retain a lawyer immediately who handles workers' compensation cases. These are highly intricate and there may be issues with notice and causation of the medical problems.

Comp lawyers are only paid 20% of what they collect, so you owe nothing to talk to one and owe nothing out of your own pocket ever.

You are entitled to TTD benefits (time off work), medical benefits, and PPD benefits, among others. Please talk to an Illinois lawyer who handles workers' compensation matters.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


You have a significant Workers Comp case. As someone who has been hurt while working, you are entitled to benefits under the Illinois Workers Compensation Act. These benefits include the right to have your medical bills paid, have your time off from work compensated, and have a settlement or award for disability at the end of the case. You do not have a lawsuit. Workers Comp is an "exclusive remedy." This is your only option.

As in any other type of case, the employer and the adverse insurance carrier are entitled to their own point of you, and ofter an injured party has to be prepared to prove his case before benefits are paid. You are far better off with an experienced Chicago area Workers Compensation lawyer who will know how to prove your case in accordance with the rules. Your next step should be a private, free consultation with a good workers comp lawyer.

Steven A. Sigmond
Law Office of Steven A. Sigmond
345 N. Canal #1208
Chicago, IL 60606
(312) 258-8188

Steven A. Sigmond offers confidential fee consultations to anyone who has been injured in an accident or hurt at work. However, a free consultation is not legal advice. This answer is general information and should not be considered "legal advice." Proper legal advice can only be obtained after hiring an attorney and providing full information regarding your case.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


As all the previous attorneys that have replied to you before you should call an experienced attorney that handles workers comp. Consultations are free. Good Luck

This information should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. It is not intended to solicit clients and does not constitute any type of transaction. Michael Lebovitz expressly disclaims all liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the information provided. No attorney-client relationship exists without a signed Attorney Client Agreement.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Take note of the Informatiom provided to you...consult with a lawyer who handles workers' compensation claims in your location.

Know and Protect Your Legal Rights if Injured

Stephen Patrick Rapp
Quincy, Adams County, Illinois

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics