Am I entitled to collect income tax if I was convicted of embezzling & haven't paid the money back?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was arrested for embezzling $180,000 from a small company that I worked for in 2010. I was convicted & served 6 months in jail. I have been working since late 2010 & income tax checks keep coming to me each year. I put them away & am holding on to them because I was told that I wouldn't receive any returns until my debt was paid back to the company or insurance company & these checks are a mistake by the IRS,which would be caught later on. Is that true or can I cash the checks,even though I have an outstanding balance from my crime?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Is there a restitution order in effect for your repayment of the money you stole? if there is, you'd better honor it. See the lawyer that defended you in your criminal case, or any other criminal defense lawyer, ASAP.

    Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . What more interesting to me is the fact that you are very likely to be criminally charged for income tax evasion is you did not report the embezzlement income on your tax returns as you embezzled it. You need counsel and I would stay off public forums to get it. I’m defending an embezzler for income tax evasion currently. You’re looking at 5 years in jail for each year you did not report the embezzlement income and the IRS finds these cases by scanning the public records of state courts. It’s just a matter of time before they find you. These are federal charges that are independent of the charges levied against you in state court. If you gave testimony under a state grant of immunity – that grant of immunity will not protect you against federal charges. STAY OFF THE INTERNET!!!

Related Topics

Criminal charges for embezzlement

Embezzlement is dishonestly redirecting or withholding assets from a business, often falsifying accounting records to make expenses appear legitimate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,349 answers this week

3,697 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,349 answers this week

3,697 attorneys answering