Am I entitled to collect income tax if I was convicted of embezzling & haven't paid the money back?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was arrested for embezzling $180,000 from a small company that I worked for in 2010. I was convicted & served 6 months in jail. I have been working since late 2010 & income tax checks keep coming to me each year. I put them away & am holding on to them because I was told that I wouldn't receive any returns until my debt was paid back to the company or insurance company & these checks are a mistake by the IRS,which would be caught later on. Is that true or can I cash the checks,even though I have an outstanding balance from my crime?

1. Pamela Koslyn

4

Answered . Is there a restitution order in effect for your repayment of the money you stole? if there is, you'd better honor it. See the lawyer that defended you in your criminal case, or any other criminal defense lawyer, ASAP.

2. David Warren Klasing

Pro

2

Answered . What more interesting to me is the fact that you are very likely to be criminally charged for income tax evasion is you did not report the embezzlement income on your tax returns as you embezzled it. You need counsel and I would stay off public forums to get it. I’m defending an embezzler for income tax evasion currently. You’re looking at 5 years in jail for each year you did not report the embezzlement income and the IRS finds these cases by scanning the public records of state courts. It’s just a matter of time before they find you. These are federal charges that are independent of the charges levied against you in state court. If you gave testimony under a state grant of immunity – that grant of immunity will not protect you against federal charges. STAY OFF THE INTERNET!!!