Am i entitled to a house purchased overseas while my partner and i were in a reationship(not married with one child in common)

Watervliet, NY |

My ex partner and I were together for 17 years and had a son. we purchased a home overseas but my name is not on the porperty ownership records. now we are separated and I want half of the house we had purchased. he verbally said the house is mine but dose not want to change the deed. I jus want half of the house because it belongs to me. if i take him to court which court would have jurisdisction new york (where we reside) or the overseas courts were the property was purchased?

1. since you both reside in NY, NY courts would have jurisdiction, but since the property is overseas and you resided overseas at the time, the substantive law would be the law where the property is located and/or where you resided a the time if two countries were involved.

Good luck. Unless the equity in the property is substantial this could be very expensive to resolve.

My answer to your question is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship,

2. What do you mean by "ex-partner?" Were you married? Was your relationship officially recognized by the State? The answer to these questions likely will determine whether the house was marital property or someone equivalent. Because you both live in NY, you can sue here but that does not mean that the foreign country will recognize an order from a NY court. I suggest you consult with a family law and/or real estate attorney.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. To give a complete answer would require more information. You should contact a local divorce attorney to discuss the situation in detail.