Am I entitled to a death certificate for my sister. I need one to have jointly owned land titled to me

Asked over 2 years ago - Upland, CA

My sister and I jointly inherited property after my mother's passing. I discovered that she had passed away in 2010 after a long illness. My brother in law did not inform me of her passing and has not accepted any of my inquiries. To get the property into my name, I must provide a death certificate.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes. As the sister, you can obtain a certified copy of the death certificate from the California Department of Public Health Vital Records by filing out the following form, have it notarized, and mailed to the address on the form:

    For instructions, see:

    Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in... more

Related Topics

Real property ownership

Several different kinds of property ownership exist, including joint tenancy, tenancy in common and more. The right one for you depends on your circumstances.

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,835 answers this week

3,187 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,835 answers this week

3,187 attorneys answering