Skip to main content

Am I entitled to a copy of my father's will? He died in New York state in 2007.

New York, NY |

Prior to my father's death following a period of dementia my mother obtained his power of attorney and excluded me from her will which included the family home and its contents. I only found this out yesterday. I am now trying to discover if there was provision in his last will for me. AM I entitled to do so?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Why don't you take a trip to the Surrogate's Court in the County where the will was probated and examine the will?

Note: This response is for general informational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is created. No responsiblity shall be taken by the submitting attorney for any individuals acting pursuant to any information contained herein.


It's almost certainly too late to do anything.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


If the will was admitted to probate you can search the records at the Surrogate's Court of the County where your father was domiciled. It is a public record and available to be viewed and copied.

This communication is neither a solicitation nor an offer to represent you. The information provided to you in this communication is not intended to create and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the Law Office of Daniel A. Jimenez P.C.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer