Skip to main content

Am I eligible to receive a Green Card?

New York, NY |

Hi. I'm a 19-year-old UAE citizen. My mother is a single mom. She is going to marry a US citizen next year. I will be 20 at the time. My mom can surely get the Green Card because she is the spouse of a US citizen. I was wondering whether I am eligible to receive the Green Card at the same time, as the unmarried child under 21. Thank you very much!

My mom and I are currently living in UAE, but my mom has a house in California and goes there regularly. I will stay in UAE to finish my college. The marriage is expected to take place in the States.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Additional information, such as where you and your mother are currently living, where the marriage is expected to take place, etc. are needed to answer your question. You should contact an immigration attorney for a thorough consultation on your case.

  2. No. I am afraid you do not qualify for a green card due to your mother's upcoming marriage to a US citizen. To qualify, step children of U.S. citizens must be younger than 18 years of age prior to the parent's marriage to the US citizen.

  3. Sorry, no, you are too old to qualify under your mother.

    Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel
    CAPRIOTTI INTERNATIONAL LAW -- 1-503-803-0055 --

    IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics