Am I eligible to file for automatic US citizenship since I was petitioned by a US citizen parent?

San Francisco, CA |

I am a 21 year old US immigrant (green card holder). My father is a US citizen and he was the one who petitioned me. He became a US citizen when I am 18 years old and consequently filed my petition then. I came here in the US last 2011, I am 19 years old then. Am I eligible to file for automatic US citizenship since I was petitioned by a US citizen parent and I came here in US when I was 19 years old?

Hoping for your reply. thank you.

No, the whole thing had to take place prior to your eighteenth birthday. You will need to take the test to become a citizen when eligible.

No

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

I agree with my colleagues. It should have occurred prior to your 18th birthday for you to get the benefit of Citizenship through your Father.