Am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

Houston, TX |

My employer fired me the day that I submitted my written/emailed four-week notice of resignation.
Am I eligible for unemployment benefits, since I was fired prematurely?

1. Probably. When and employer terminates you for giving an advance notice of resignation you are nearly always eligible for unemployment benefits unless you are disqualified for misconduct. Normally an employee who voluntarily quits is ineligible. However, when the employer unilaterally terms you prior to the date of your advance notice termination, you become eligible. You can always call the unemployment department or contact a local employment lawyer for state specific law governing your firing.
    Best of luck!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

2. Likely, yes. Generally when you choose to leave your job, you are not eligible for unemployment. However, when termination occurs prior your leave date you generally remain eligible for benefits due to your early termination. You can contact TWC for details, but if you have any issues get with a local attorney immediately.

Regards

3. Probably.

Voluntary leaving is an exclusion. There are 4 exceptions. Your scenario does implicate one of the exceptions.