Skip to main content

Am I Eligible for the refugee status under Lautenberg amendment if I have Jewish grandmother & have GC Holder sister in US?

Philadelphia, PA |

I am From Georgia( former USSR) I had Jewish grandmother from father's side,-when I visited US twice as a guest I was young at that time I did not participate in social activities , Now I am grown up and have problems because of my identity and views .

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You may be eligible for asylum. I would consult with a good asylum attorney regarding the details of your case. If you want more information from me, click on my link below.

    Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |

  2. That amendment is over as of last year. There are other programs available for refugees but not that one.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. The Lautenberg Amendment to the Foreign Operations Appropriations Act, allows certain individuals that were denied refugee status to be inspected and paroled into the United States on a humanitarian basis. These individuals are currently processed overseas in Moscow through the Moscow Parole Program before traveling to the United States. After 1 year of residence in the United States, these individuals may then apply for a green card without regard to visa availability.

    Today, this provision is limited to only those from the former Soviet Union, or from Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania, and include (but are not necessarily limited to) Jews, Evangelical Christians, and Ukrainian Christians of the Orthodox and Roman Catholic denominations. Prior to mid-1994, these provisions were available to certain individuals from Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos, as well as individuals from the former Soviet Union.

    The Moscow Field Office has jurisdiction over U.S. immigration matters in the following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan.

    This is not a legal advice or solicitation, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Consult an attorney.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics