Skip to main content

Am I eligible for L1 visa for the company I worked for 5 year (outside US) and left 18 months back

San Mateo, CA |

Am I eligible for L1 visa for the company I worked for 5 year (outside US) and left 18 months back. I am now on H1B for a different company. I have an offer from my previous company in US and would like to take it if I can be eligible for L1 visa.


Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    I also agree that you are eligible for the same reasons my colleagues have stated. You will definitely want to work with an attorney on this one. If you qualify for L1a, even better.

    Maria J. Marty Attorney at Law | | Office: 206.494.9999 McAuliff Law Firm | 14205 SE 36th St., Suite 100 | Bellevue, WA 98006 Skype ID: mjmarty-mcauliff This is general information and not legal advice. For a more complete assessment of your situation, please contact our office. Our practice is limited to U.S. Immigration Law. Our attorneys have over 20 years of experience representing international companies, investors, professionals and families with US immigration matters.

  2. Your 18-month absence from that company should not disqualify you. Generally, you may seek such status if the employee had been working for a qualifying organization abroad for one continuous year within the three years immediately preceding his or her admission to the United States.

    Consult and Hire an attorney to assist with your case. Good luck!

    Legal disclaimer: Mr. Zapata's response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Zapata's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. Yes. You are eligible to work for your old employer if you worked for them outside the USA for at least 1 year in the past 36 months prior ot filing the application

  4. Assuming you fulfill all of the other requirements, you should qualify for the L1.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics