Am I eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals? So called Dream Act?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Barbara, CA

I came to the States when I was 14, completed high school, college and grad school. I have always been on F-1. I'm currently on H1B, but my company is going to shut down and I'm having a hard time to find new sponsorship. Am I eligible to apply for the deferred action? Do I have to be illegal to be able to apply for this? I kept getting different answers, someone please confirm this for me please? Thank you!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, you got that one right: you basically have to be illegal to qualify for DACA. There is no such law or policy as "DREAM ACT". It never passed.

    Try to enroll back in school for now..

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . There is no Dream Act, so called or otherwise.

    You do not qualify for DACA under the facts you give.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No. Yes.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.... more

Related Topics

Deferred action

Deferred Action is a policy that allows qualifying immigrants to receive employment authorization and have removal proceedings delayed.

Robert Kennedy O'Reilly

Renew your DACA Status

On June 5, 2014, the USCIS announced the procedure for persons who previously were approved for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). At Ademi & O'Reilly, LLP, we suggest that you... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,810 answers this week

2,448 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,810 answers this week

2,448 attorneys answering