Am I eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals? So called Dream Act?

Santa Barbara, CA |

I came to the States when I was 14, completed high school, college and grad school. I have always been on F-1. I'm currently on H1B, but my company is going to shut down and I'm having a hard time to find new sponsorship. Am I eligible to apply for the deferred action? Do I have to be illegal to be able to apply for this? I kept getting different answers, someone please confirm this for me please? Thank you!

1. Yes, you got that one right: you basically have to be illegal to qualify for DACA. There is no such law or policy as "DREAM ACT". It never passed.

Try to enroll back in school for now..

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. No. Yes.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

3. There is no Dream Act, so called or otherwise.

You do not qualify for DACA under the facts you give.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.