Am I eligible for Cap Gap?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

My OPT runs out on July 8th. I already have 4.5 month of H1 left from pre-F1 status. My current employer is not filing for H1 transfer, so I will join another employer who will transfer my H1 post July 8th. Based on this - my H1 transfer will be done 2-3 months later after my OPT expiry. Am I eligible for Cap Gap and have my H1 transfer effective from Oct 1?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

1

Answered . The cap-gap does not apply if you are already in H-1B status.

2. Pradeek Susheelan

Pro

4

Answered . What do you mean when you say you have 4.5 months of h1 left ? If you we're on h1 b status within the last 6 years the cap does not apply to you and you do not require cap gap.

If you on the other hand the cap applies to you as long as you have valid f1 / opt past April 1 st and your employer files a petition on April 1 st you will be eligible for cap gap.

Please consult an immigration attorney

3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

3

Answered . You should consult with an attorney