Am I eligible for asylum in USA?

Hamden, CT |

I am a Palestinian, I've a legal documents to proof my citizenship in Palestine . In the past we became a refugees in Jordan so I have a Jordanian passport. But because of hard life there and you know there are many problems in the middle east. It is unstable and unsafe to return there we thought to seek other opportunity to live in US safely. I am currently in US with my spouse during his studying. I came to US holding F2 visa. Currently my spouse got H1B. I became on H4. But I still in hard situation because I can't work and I can't continue my studying either because I am not a US citizen and I don't have enough money for my studying.
I am wondering if I can apply for asylum here in the united states so I can continue normal life peacefully

It may be possible for you to apply for asylum, but the asylum rules are very strict and very complicated. Asylum is not something that you should ever apply for on your own. Please take your case to an attorney experienced in asylum law. Asylum should never be used as a way to get work authorization. Done poorly, it is a sure means for removal. Done improperly, it can mean a lifetime ban from the United States. Seek competent advice.

The above is not legal advice. It is general information. I only give legal advice to those who have a retainer agreement with me. You may also seek further information on my website -

The fact that you have refugee status in Jordan will be a major stumbling block for you.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Based on your description, no. You can rely on this answer which is very cursory or you can consult with an immigraiton attorney locally, provide all the facts and see, maybe I am wrong, after all. Good luck.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Recommended articles about Family law