Skip to main content

Am I eligible for ARD if I've committed a summary offense ?

State College, PA |

I recently received a citation for public urination and I'm financially unable to hire a lawyer to try to get the charge dismissed . I read that if one wants to get a summary offense expunged , they have to go 5 years without arrest . I'm still a freshmen in college and this is my first criminal offense and I don't want this to stay on my record for 5 years . Am I eligible for the ARD program for such a charge ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You have previously asked this question. The ARD program is not available for this offense. Hire a criminal defense attorney to maximize a chance for a favorable resolution.


I answered you earlier version with the typo, please see it there.


You might be eligible for some other alternative program, like community service. I would suggest talking to a criminal defense attorney who can advise you of some of your other options. A good lawyer should be able to work something out with the arresting officer/prosecutor especially if it is your first offense.

Michael Kotik, Esq.
Two Penn Center (Philadelphia)
1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220
Philadelphia, PA 19102
267-265-4553 (Direct 24/7 Line) (Direct Email)

Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If you have any questions please contact my office at 215-564-1010. Lawyer Michael Kotik | | 1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102


Some counties in Pa will offer ARD on a summary offense--not sure if Centre county does. The District Attorney's office should be able to answer that question. Another option would be to request the District Court judge, with the approval of the officer, to request community service in exchange for a withdrawl /dismissal of the charge upon successful completion.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.


Thanks counsellor for you response. I personally have not encountered that in my part (western) of the state. Of course that raises a longer term consideration as to whether it is wise to utilize ARD for an offense by its nature subject to expungement and not have it available for a more serious offense. Certainly worth knowing what all the possible options available to the client. Thanks, I learn something new every day.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer