Am I eligible for any kind of spousal support?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Allen, TX

We have been married for 15 yrs and now have been separated for 9 months.I was a stay at home mom to our two boys for 6 years..I started my own business (skincare studio) but it will take a while for me to build a clientele and generate an income.. I'm just afraid I'm not gonna be able to make it financially and really don't want to give up my business as I know potentially it will grow and i will be able to sustain on my own.

1. Thomas James Daley

Pro

1

Answered . Maybe. Texas is a tough state as far as spousal support goes. It's supposed to be rehabilitative in nature, meaning it's supposed to be just enough support to give you a chance to get back into the job market. It's not intended to be venture capital for a startup business.

You will probably need to work at your business on nights and weekends and get a regular job in order to make ends meet. One of the factors the court can consider in determining whether to grant spousal support is the extent to which you tried to find work or otherwise prepare yourself for the job market during the pendancy of the divorce.

The factors for spousal support are numerous and the analysis is a little complicated. To get a better picture of what you could expect, you should consult with a family law attorney who can ask you detailed questions about your situation and give you a read from there.

I know you were hoping for a more encouraging answer--and you may have a more encouraging answer in your future once all the facts in your case are out--but, as I said, Texas is a very, very tough state and Collin County is a tough county in a tough state.

Please consult with a local family law attorney to get a better idea of what the possible outcomes are in your particular case.