Am I eligible for Alimony

Savannah, GA |

My husband committed adultery. I kicked him out of the house 20 months ago. He's filed for divorce. He says that I am not entitled to alimony since I make more than 100K a yr. Is this true??

1. There is no magic number. Both parties' financial statements are evaluated.

2. Alimony in Georgia is based on your need and your husband's ability to pay. There are a number of factors that go into determining whether or not a Judge will award alimony including:

1. length of marriage;
    2. education of parties;
    3. earning capacity of each party; and
    4. lifestyle during course of marriage;

While you may not have a compelling argument for Alimony based on your income, you may be able to negotiate an equitable settlement of assets and debts that is strongly in your favor due to the circumstances of your separation. I urge you to talk to an attorney if you havn't already done so to discuss your options in more detail. Many attorneys even offer free consultations.

Alimony topics