Skip to main content

Am I eligible for a TN visa as an ASCP Certified Histotechnician(HT)?

Marietta, GA |

I am a Canadian citizen in the US on a F1 visa. I have an A.S. in Business Administration (US college), have completed a Histotechnology certification program (US college) and will soon be completing the American Society of Clinical Pathology's certification exam. I do not currently have any work experience in my field but hope to complete a years work experience by the end of my OPT.

The closest category in NAFTA Professional Job Series List applicable to me would be (maybe), "Medical Laboratory Technologist (Canada) / Medical Technologist (Mexico and the United States) - Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or post secondary diploma or post secondary certificate, and three years experience"

Would I still qualify to apply for a TN Visa?

Attorney Answers 3


Ay this point, you are not eligible for obtaining a TN visa. One of TN requirements is that a beneficiary must have a bachelor's degree or equivalent. You can combine your degree and experience as culminating in the equivalent of a U.S/Canadian Bachelor's degree, but you can not combines degrees.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

Mark as helpful


I suggest that you look at the NAFTA list for TN qualification

Reza Athari
Attorney at Law
Certified Specialist - Immigration and Nationality Law
State Bar of California - Board of Legal Specialization

Main office: Las Vegas, Nevada
Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc

3365 Pepper Lane, Suite 102
Las Vegas, NV 89120
Telephone: (702) 727-7777
Fax: (702) 458-8508
Toll free: (800) 565-2030

Barstow, California
Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc
Telephone: (760) 957-7220
Fax: (760) 957-7396

St. George, Utah
Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc
Telephone: (435) 656-1136
Fax: (435) 656-1145

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc
Telephone: (801) 262-LAW7
Fax: (801) 281-9603

Mark as helpful


Your job must be listed on NAFTA Schedule A and you must have the qualifications, etc. and a U.S. employer needing you to come in on TN. You say you have no work experience -- if you do not have at least a Bachelor's (Baccalaureate or Licenciate), then you won't be able to do a combination certificate and experience. So no TN at this time.

An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics