Am I eligible for a Public defender if I am unemployed. What are the requirement in California.

I have no income at all at this moment and need to hire one . . . what are the processes and how can I obtain one . I was hit with a TOR , so looking for a PD and need to know exactly how to do this please . Thank you .

Los Angeles, CA -

Seth Andrew Weinstein

Seth Andrew Weinstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - Sherman Oaks, CA

If you have no money, you will qualify for the Public Defender in a criminal case. You cannot get a PD for a civil or family law matter such as a TRO.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131
www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

John M. Kaman

John M. Kaman

Criminal Defense Attorney - San Francisco, CA

Mr. Weinstein is correct; this sounds like a Family Law matter. In the land of the Family Court nothing is free.

Gilberto Benito Vega

Gilberto Benito Vega

Criminal Defense Attorney - Sacramento, CA

The only thing you have to do in order to qualify for a PD is show up and make less than $2000/month. The process is very streamlined and automatic. Good luck.

Nicholas Milan Loncar

Nicholas Milan Loncar

Criminal Defense Attorney - Studio City, CA

Check with Legal Aid for free representation in civil matters:

http://www.lafla.org/