Am I eligible for a Public defender if I am unemployed. What are the requirement in California.

I have no income at all at this moment and need to hire one . . . what are the processes and how can I obtain one . I was hit with a TOR , so looking for a PD and need to know exactly how to do this please . Thank you .

I should say that I live far from the court where I was hit with the Temp R.O., so am I supposed to fly there to fill out a form or what. I had an ex-parte hearing 3 weeks ago, now I asked for a continuance so i have exactly 2 week now...how can request one form a distance.obviously it has to do before my hearing when I will fly there that day...any advice as to what to do. I also filed for a temp r o on that person but in my city and was granted at the ex parte hearing so should i now go back to my court and file a form to get a pd...i guess i am more concerned about the other city as to how get one there.

The only thing you have to do in order to qualify for a PD is show up and make less than $2000/month. The process is very streamlined and automatic. Good luck.

thanks so much...how long before the hearing should I do this. Also, if i have to attend a hearing far away, do I need to fly there to get a PD ...i'm just thinking spending $$ going up there and getting denied, then flying back home and the headache associated with it. so in my case when im not making any money (but I have $5,000 debt from school) i can qualify right...i guess i cant get a pd over the phone and then fly a day or two prior to my hearing to meet with him...would this be a possibility.

If you have no money, you will qualify for the Public Defender in a criminal case. You cannot get a PD for a civil or family law matter such as a TRO.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131
www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

oh ok..didn't know that, but the person who filed a TRO against me got one, so how is that possible then.

Seth Andrew Weinstein

Seth Andrew Weinstein

They may have had a Victim Advocate. You can also consult with an attorney through the Self Help clinic in your County. Seth Weinstein, Esq. Practicing throughout Southern California (310) 707-7131 www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

Mr. Weinstein is correct; this sounds like a Family Law matter. In the land of the Family Court nothing is free.

Check with Legal Aid for free representation in civil matters:

http://www.lafla.org/