Am I eligible for a Public defender if I am unemployed. What are the requirement in California.

I have no income at all at this moment and need to hire one . . . what are the processes and how can I obtain one . I was hit with a TOR , so looking for a PD and need to know exactly how to do this please . Thank you .

I should say that I live far from the court where I was hit with the Temp R.O., so am I supposed to fly there to fill out a form or what. I had an ex-parte hearing 3 weeks ago, now I asked for a continuance so i have exactly 2 week now...how can request one form a distance.obviously it has to do before my hearing when I will fly there that day...any advice as to what to do. I also filed for a temp r o on that person but in my city and was granted at the ex parte hearing so should i now go back to my court and file a form to get a pd...i guess i am more concerned about the other city as to how get one there.

1. The only thing you have to do in order to qualify for a PD is show up and make less than $2000/month. The process is very streamlined and automatic. Good luck.

2. If you have no money, you will qualify for the Public Defender in a criminal case. You cannot get a PD for a civil or family law matter such as a TRO.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Practicing throughout Southern California
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

3. Mr. Weinstein is correct; this sounds like a Family Law matter. In the land of the Family Court nothing is free.

4. Check with Legal Aid for free representation in civil matters:

http://www.lafla.org/