Skip to main content

Am I eligible for "right to abode" in UK?

Clearwater, FL |

My mother was born in the UK and was a UK citizen (even served in the military during WWII) but became a war bride and moved to the US in the 40's. She finally became a US citizen in the early 90's. I was born in the US and lived here all my life. Am I eligible for a "right to abode" in the UK or a dual citizenship?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You might check with the embassy. i have dual Irish American citizenship though my Irish grandmother and the Irish consulate helped me- but that was in the 80's and in a very pre-9/11 and immigration fraud fraught world. But the attorney to help would be someone versed in UK or British law.

    This is a general answer only and does not imply that I am your attorney giving advice with full knowledge of all the particulars of your case or that there is any attorney client relationship. I strongly urge you to retain experienced legal counsel who can better advise you once they have reviewed all your documentation and are fully apprised of the details of your case. Rebecca Black Immigration 5800 Beach Blvd. Ste 203-176 Jacksonville, FL 32207 904-999-4928 Tel & Fax

  2. You most likely could be, but this is a question to be posed to UK immigration attorneys.
    We here at AVVO are U.S. immigration attorneys and know (almost) nothing about UK immigration or citizenship laws.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. You need to ask a UK immigration lawyer. At Avvo, we are all US immigration attorneys.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics