Skip to main content

Am I eldgible to sue my county jail and what kind of lawyer do I need???

Bloomington, IN |

I was incarcerated from October 3rd of 2010 up to October 22nd 2011. I was in Jackson County Jail, in Brownstown, IN up to April 18th of 2011. On April 16th I was haveing really bad complications and I had a ingrunial hernia rupturing on my left side. They had rushed me to the emergency room and the Dr. there had told me I needed surgery and referred me to a surgean. I saw her and she had set me up with surgery on the 19th day of April at 8 a.m. They prescribed me Vicoden, 3 tablets a day. My jail was only giveing them to me twice a day and I was in excrusiating pain. On April 18th of 2011 my jail commander took me to Richmond Diag. Center in Indianapolis, IN so the county did not have to pay for the surgery. I've still not gotten the surgery and I am still in alot of pain. What can I do??

Attorney Answers 2

  1. You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.Now that you are out of jail, you should be able to arrange a free consultation with a local attorney. Take advantage of that service.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

  2. You would want to search Avvo for a Civil Rights Attorney in your city, and call for a free consultation to discuss.

    Click on name or picture to see profile page.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics