Am i being wrongfully charged?

Port Saint Lucie, FL |

A few weeks ago a captain of the highway patrol came to my home telling me that I was under arrest for driving on an expired license but i was never stopped driving any vehicle he simply rung my doorbell and said "I saw you driving earlier". Does this sound right?

It's possible, although that isn't usually the way things happen. He now has to come to court and prove that you were the driver. If it was an FHP Captain I highly doubt that he has a video in his car. You should consult an attorney in your area to explore the exact facts of your case.

This is not intended to be an attorney-client relationship and is my opinion only. Consult with a local attorney for additional advice.

Thank you very much we will do that exactly

Sounds sketcy enough to where you need to retain a lawyer and go into more detail with them about what happened before you do anything further.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented.

This is rare, but I have seen it happen before. Did you loan someone your car? Does this Captain know you personally? If he does not know you, you have some eyewitness identification issues and an experienced criminal attorney can be a valuable tool in helping you beat your case or receiving a reduced sentence.

Your arrest may be unlawful. Be sure to tell your attorney you were in your house when arrested etc.

Yes. I have been a criminal defense lawyer in Fort Pierce and Vero Beach since 2004. Make an appointment with a lawyer, most offer free consultations. If you are called in for questioning, request a lawyer as many times as you have to, and do not answer any questions even if they seem harmless at the time.