Am I being targeted fraudulently to pay a speeding ticket from 1992? I appeared in court & paid the fine 21 yrs. ago.

Sacramento, CA |

I just received a letter from GC Services Limited Partnership Collection Agency demanding I send them $640.00 immediately for an unpaid speeding ticket from 21 yrs. ago. I have no paperwork now, but I DID appear in court, paid the fine & attended traffic school. This letter threatens to: garnish wages, take personal property, etc. The letter states that the DMV has been searching for me, and since all the previous attempts to locate me have failed, a civil money judgement against me was issued. I have been registering my vehicles and renewing my driver's license without any problems for nearly 30 yrs. If I never went to court, a warrant would have been issued long, long ago. I have never been contacted about this before. It is a scam!!!!! How do I proceed?

Sounds like a scam to me. You're right that if you had failed to do anything, your license would have been suspended. That it was not I'd evidence you did in fact pay your fine. I would contact your local DMV office to see if they even contract with that company. Otherwise I would say either ignore the letter or send back one with an explanation and a demand that they cease and desist in their endeavor.

Mr. Feasel is a former prosecutor in San Mateo County (CA) with over 10 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney/client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Feasel to further investigate your situation, feel free to contact him thru this site.

No you are not being targeted. What you are describing is widely reported activity by GC that violates the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). You have the right to demand written verification of the debt, but additionally you should contact a consumer-rights attorney for assistance in gathering your proof and suing for statutory damages.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

My first impression in reading the facts of your case is that the letter you received from the collection agency may in fact be a scam. I would contact the RMV to see if in fact they have any outstanding issues with your license. If this is a legitimate matter, my suggestion would be to go to the court in which you appeared and request a copy of your record and proof that you paid all fines and fees. This paperwork should exonerate you in the civil case. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

You should contact a lawyer. I agree it is likely a scam but considering GC Services does collection work for many California Superior Courts, you are probably not alone in this. If you have a common name it might be a mix up or a 'scam' but you dont' want to ignore it for fear your license will be suspended.

Feel free to contact us for a consultation. Iannelli & Associates, 949 729-3171 This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationship is created. Every case has many facts which are different and distinctly theirs, make sure that you understand this is general information and it would be advisable to constact a competent lawyer for personal legal advice.