Am I being scammed or could this be true?

Albion, NY |

I received a phone call yesterday stating I have 2 pending fraudulent charges affixed to my name and s.s. number and the charges will be in filed in the county I live in. When I looked up the number it says its a unknown number .
I can only call this number 347-578-9284 and give them my file number from my home number or my place of employment. i can only discuss the matter until I receive the summons. I tried to call the number back and it says agent number 3009 is unavailable then it beeps to leave a message. I did not leave a message. If a summons were to be filed would I really be contacted? Also it said my name in a computer generated voice then the lady spoke then it said my name again in the computer generated voice. Please help!

A google search indicates that this is a debt collector trying to rattle your cage. Check out the link below. You may want to talk to your new york attorney general.

Every legal matter is fact specific, and there are often nuances in every case. This is intended for comment only, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

there is no link below. can you please repost it.

Aaron Scott Hill

Aaron Scott Hill

it is the scam? but here it is again http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-347-578-9284

Yes, probably scam on you. Contact your local authorities.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice. Please contact us at 954-916-2667 or Dugandisabilitylaw.com in Florida for a FREE evaluation and legal advice pertaining to your particular claim. We give telephonic consultations and handle claims electronically nationwide

This description is strongly suspicious for scam. Real debt collectors are prohibited by the federal Fair Debt Collection Practice Act (FDCPA) from operating in this fashion, and you may now have rights under the FDCPA. For more information, go to the FTC website here: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0258-fake-debt-collectors

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

A debt collector would not sue you for something it knows to be a fraudulent charge. I suspect a scam. They will probably ask you to confirm you ID information such as your social security number, date of birth, and account numbers..... don't do it.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

This sounds like a scam.