Am I being overcharged for a marijuana infraction?

Yreka, CA |

A friend and I were recently pulled over for a dead tail light(my friend was the driver). The officer claimed to smell marijuana, then subsequently searched our car and found a pipe along with far less than an ounce of marijuana in my possession. I got charged with possession <1 oz, which I read as being an infraction punishable by no more than $100 in the state of California. However, I recently received a notification on how much it would be, and I was shocked to find the total was $460! Even without listed fees, the infraction itself was listed as costing me around $360. Is there a mistake here? If it helps, I'm over 21 and we were pulled over by a CHP officer in Siskiyou County. Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed light on this.

Did you get arrested or just cited. Possession of an ounce or less is an infraction punishable by a $100 fine. Unless you've left out some details this is the worst you should get.

I suppose it was an arrest, although we were merely detained while they searched the vehicle. After that, we were each given a ticket, and left for home shortly after. My statement specifically notes that I violated code 11357(b), and it's noted as an infraction... but it's still listed as a charge of $390(more than I originally mentioned, as it turns out).

I took the liberty of tagging this as a criminal defense question. You will get a better response that way. Good luck.

Law Offices of Linh T. Nguyen 916.509.7200 Disclaimer: This reply is not intended to be and does not constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. I always recommend consulting with an attorney, especially since many attorneys offer free, no-obligation consultations.

You should have got a $100 fine, going by your facts.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets