Am i at fault and should i be held responsible

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, GA

in georgia my friend who was driving my car with me in it stopped in a lane which caused the other car to swerve and cause an accident. now they are suing me for well above the 100000 of my ins. policy. should i be af fault or my friend who was driving

1. Christopher Matthew Simon

Pro

8

Answered . You are only legally responsible if 1) you knew that your friend had a lengthy history of careless driving (a negligent entrustment claim) and 2) your friend is found liable. Its hard to prove unless your friend has a disastrous driving record. Either way, your insurance will give you and your friend a free lawyer.

2. Lisa Douglas

7

Answered . If your friend had your permission to drive the car, then you can be held liable. But as the other attorney indicated, let your insurance company defend you. You need to make sure you send notice of the complaint to your insurance company and make contact with them.

3. Randy William Ferguson

6

Answered . It's your car so your insurance will defend you. Let your insurance take care of it, they will protect your interests.

Pro

5

Answered . Unless there were very serious injuries, your insurance company will likely settle it below the limits.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  5. Benjamin Joseph Sansone

Pro

1

Answered . You are probably not legally responsible. The driver is responsible and just because it is your car does not make you liable. However, if there is a negligent entrustment angle you could be liable for allowing your friend to drive. Did you know she was a dangerous driver or drunk and allowed her to drive anyway knowing she was unfit to drive? you could be liable under that theory.