Am i and my daughter eligible for asylum after fleeing from a home country for the fear of Female genital cut on my daughter?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cincinnati, OH

We entered US on valid visa January 2013,we have submitted our application but still awaiting interview and other biometric checks.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

1

Answered . You daughter definitely has a case if facts are proven. You - is a much more difficult subject all together.

2. Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Your daughter likely has a strong case. If you were subjected to female genital mutilation in the past (or another form of persecution or fear of future persecution) that may be enough for you to qualify for asylum as well but you would need to file a separate application for yourself. Are you working with an attorney? If not, you should be.

A grant of asylum requires that a person have reasonable fear or persecution or to have already experienced persecution in the past. Female genital mutilation is one of the categories that is recognized under asylum law (but it is not the only one). If your daughter is granted asylum it does not mean you will automatically have the right to stay here as well.

Consult with an attorney who specializes in asylum. If you cannot afford one you should attempt to contact free immigration clinics that are affiliated with law schools, or pro bono/non profit organizations that work with immigrants.

Please seek advice from a qualified attorney to make sure you and your daughter can stay safely in the United States.

3. Michael Hugh Carlin

3

1

Answered . Have you been working with an attorney on your cases? Asylum law is very complex, and it's often quite difficult to be granted asylum without the involvement of an attorney. I suggest that you consult with an immigration lawyer as soon as possible.

4. Andrew Marino Bramante

1

1

Answered . The fear of Female genital mutilation can be the basis for your daughter's asylum, BUT it depends on the facts and circumstances. You most definitely should consult with an attorney to make sure that you document all the key issues and are extremely well-prepared for your asylum interview. Whether you as the parent can also get asylum will also depend on the circumstances. If you like, call me for a free consultation by phone (or the next time you are in Cleveland). 216-338-2120