Am I an "Illinois Resident" ?

Glendale Heights, IL |

I am an illegal alien living under the DACA. I live in Illinois. I am filling out college apps and it is asking me if I am an Illinois resident. I know that when it asks me if I am a "permanent resident" that that does not apply to me, but what about "Illinois resident"? I have lived in Illinois all my life and continue to do so now.

The Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights (ICIRR) has published a guide for undocumented college students in Illinois. See link below.

This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

true

Residency requirements are state-specific so you should google Illinois residency - unless an IL attorney answers first - to view the exact details. Usually residency requires having lived a certain amount of time in the state in question, such as for instance three months, as well as showing ties to the state in question (i.e. license from that state, bank account in that state, domicile in that state, etc.). Sounds as if you very well might be a resident already if you indeed lived there all your life.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Correct

You are an Illinois resident for purposes of college applications.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

exactly right

You are an Illinois resident. However, this does not grant you legal status. DACA was institued to defer removal (deportation) proceedings for certain indiviuals.