Am I an "Illinois Resident" ?

Asked 8 months ago - Glendale Heights, IL

I am an illegal alien living under the DACA. I live in Illinois. I am filling out college apps and it is asking me if I am an Illinois resident. I know that when it asks me if I am a "permanent resident" that that does not apply to me, but what about "Illinois resident"? I have lived in Illinois all my life and continue to do so now.

1. Mary Kathleen Neal

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . The Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights (ICIRR) has published a guide for undocumented college students in Illinois. See link below.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . You are an Illinois resident for purposes of college applications.

3. Leon Fox

1

Answered . You are an Illinois resident. However, this does not grant you legal status. DACA was institued to defer removal (deportation) proceedings for certain indiviuals.

4. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

1

Answered . Residency requirements are state-specific so you should google Illinois residency - unless an IL attorney answers first - to view the exact details. Usually residency requires having lived a certain amount of time in the state in question, such as for instance three months, as well as showing ties to the state in question (i.e. license from that state, bank account in that state, domicile in that state, etc.). Sounds as if you very well might be a resident already if you indeed lived there all your life.