Am I allowed to sell services to my own NYC housing cooperative? For example, fixing the wiring?

Asked about 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

I live in a housing cooperative in NYC. Can the board contract me to do services around the place, like fix the wiring? I have a license and everything.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . I am not aware of any legal prohibition. The issue is whether the Board wants to contract with a shareholder.

2. Peter J Weinman

Pro

2

Answered . I would be concerned about a perceived conflict of interest, but if the cooperative covers itself by bidding out the job and you happen to be the one that gets the contract (and it's reasonably in line with the others), it should not be a problem.

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

2

Answered . If you are properly licensed, I don't see why this would be prohibited. However, as my colleague said, there might be an issue with the board wanting to contract with a shareholder.

4. Sharon Melissa Siegel

Pro

Answered . If you have not influenced the decision of the board and they desire to hire you, there should be no problem.