Am I allowed to help in my family business while I am attending a college on student visa

Asked 9 months ago - Cambridge, MA

I am planning to apply for Student Visa for USA . My parents who live in USA have their own business. I am wondering if I will be allowed to help in family business while my status in USA is a student.

1. Gregory Romanovsky

Answered . Helping on a regular basis would be considered employment and would most likely constitute a violation of your student status.

Gregory Romanovsky, Esq.
    12 Marshall Street
    Boston, MA 02108
    617.787.0000
    gr@romanovskylaw.com

2. Viera Buzgova

Answered . F-1 students are not authorized to work. There are some exceptions for certain on-campus employment of 20 hours or less per week. There is also an economic hardship exception but that would require you to be a student for a full academic year and you would have to apply for the USCIS for an authorization. Consult an immigration attorney who will explain to you implications and requirements of working outside these parameters.

3. Randall Drew

Answered . When you say help -- you mean work and get paid right? Off campus employment is not a "given" with a student visa. The rules vary -- you are talking about an F-1 student visa and not a J-1 exchange student program I would guess.

Better meet with a qualified attorney to see if/when you can get employment authorization from USCIS. Even if you want to "help" on a volunteer basis there are still rules to follow if you are going to stay in Immigration's good graces.