Am I allowed to deduct the cleaning and upgrading costs prior to selling a property for inheritance tax purposes in Pennsylvania

New Castle, PA |

A month before my sister passed in July,2012, she put me on the property as a joint tenant with right of survivorship. I sold the property for $52,000.00 in December, 2012 and spent $8000 just for cleaning and upgrading. I am tryiyng to file inheritance tax return and need to know if I can deduct $8000 and settlement costs as expenses. Also, I was the 100% beneficiary. Thanks

1. Costs of upkeep are only deductible on the PA inheritance tax return if the property was in the estate and not specifically devised under a will. Since you took title by survivorship these costs are not deductible.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/

Probate topics