Am I able to record a conversation without someone else's consent? Are the laws different if the conversation isn't on the phone

Oshkosh, WI |

The meeting is not legally confidential. I know that for a fact after previous consultation with an attorney.

1. This is an excerpt from http://www.aapsonline.org/judicial/telephone.htm

Wisconsin Wis. Stat Ann. §§968.31(c) &885.365(1) It is lawful to intercept a communication if one is a party to the communication or has received the prior consent of a party to the communication. But, another section of the Wisconsin code states that evidence obtained by recording telephone conversations shall be totally inadmissible in civil actions in the courts of Wisconsin.

Of course, you must confirm this with a local attorney.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

2. I agree with Attorney Sargeant, you should speak with a local attorney. I assume that you are seeking to record a conversation with another person in Wisconsin. However if the conversation takes place in another state or is over the phone with someone in another state, different laws may apply.

I am not your attorney, and my responses on Avvo should not be considered legal advice.

Civil rights topics