Am I able to personally email or otherwise contact the judge I am assigned to?

Asked over 1 year ago - Huntington Beach, CA

I have been going through a custody battle with my daughter's father. We started in the domestic violence department when i first left him. He openly admited to illegal activites etc. while our daughter was present which were dismissed because they weren't relevent to that case but would be dealt with in family court, which they have to this point not surfaced. He continues to get more time with our daughter and is to begin overnight visits which terrifies me because of his lifestyle and the people he is in contact with. I have been frustrated with my lawyer for not bringing up relevant information, admissions from my ex, photos of evidence etc. in court and wont allow me to either. I also feel the judge hasnt read our old files since she so easily wanted to give a 50-50 arrangement.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Rhonda Diane Ellifritz

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, you can't. If you aren't happy with your attorney, you may want to make an appointment with a few attorneys who offer free initial consultations, such as myself. I know for myself, if a client were ever unhappy with what I was doing, I would rather them find another attorney. For further information, visit

    Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing,... more
  2. Michael Raymond Daymude


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . "Am I able to personally email or otherwise contact the judge I am assigned to?" -- No. Ex parte communications are not allowed.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for... more
  3. Brent James Pfeiffer

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . No.

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,987 answers this week

3,019 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,987 answers this week

3,019 attorneys answering