Skip to main content

Am I able to file for my tax returns if my Husband lives in another country, and has no social security number?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Tax return

I noticed online, using H&R block that i can't further the filing process without submitting my spouse's social security number; and he doesn't have one. I live here in America and we've been apart for a year and a half now. I'm aware of the w-7 but I'm not sure we're able to do that since he's not in America to begin with.

Attorney Answers 1


your husband needs to fill out and sign and attach the required supporting identification documents to the W7 TIN application, and file that with your married filing joint return, noting in the block for his SSN "applied for". Obviously, you won't be able to do that online.

This information is provided for educational purposes only, and is not to be relied upon as legal advice. You should consult with an attorney with full disclosure of all facts and opportunity to consider all or alternative options.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics