Am I able to file for my tax returns if my Husband lives in another country, and has no social security number?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I noticed online, using H&R block that i can't further the filing process without submitting my spouse's social security number; and he doesn't have one. I live here in America and we've been apart for a year and a half now. I'm aware of the w-7 but I'm not sure we're able to do that since he's not in America to begin with.

1. Everett R. Buck

Pro

2

Answered . your husband needs to fill out and sign and attach the required supporting identification documents to the W7 TIN application, and file that with your married filing joint return, noting in the block for his SSN "applied for". Obviously, you won't be able to do that online.