Am I able to back out of lease before it starts AFTER finding out information regarding my safety?

Spring, TX |

Signed a lease to begin on Aug 1 2013. I signed a copy of the lease without a landlord's signature. Not sure if he has signed it in the past three days however, I have found that building has two sexual predators in it and also holds asbestos. Being a single 20y.o. female this is unsettling. Since the lease was not a standard TAA agreement I'm unsure if I can get out of the lease without consequence based on this. Help?

Immediately send a time stamped letter of retraction withdrawing your offer as it has not been accepted yet if you have not received the counter-signature accepting your offer. If LL balks (seeking to hold you accountable) then send a 2nd letter stating there was a material misrepresentation of material facts and therefore the lease was void even if the LL had signed the lease before your retraction. If he cannot prove it then you are in good shape to the extent you can prove time of retraction of your offer.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained.