Am I a USA citizen ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Kalamazoo, MI

I was born in Ulm, Germany in a DP camp Jan, 1950, parents took a ship to USA (New York) Oct,
1950. In 1956 or 57 they became citizens in Kalamazoo, MI (Kalamazoo County) I have a social
security card and served in the US Army from 1968-1971. I was planning an Alaska Cruise and I
have no proof of citizenship. Thanks in Advance

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

18

1

Answered . You need to get this straightened out before you take your cruise. It may be that you "derived" US citizenship when your parents naturalized. If not, you should be apply for naturalization based on your military service.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. F. J. Capriotti III

7

Answered . Yes, there is a very good chance that you automatically became a US citizen on the day that both, or the latter of the two, of your parents naturalized.

Military service makes no difference, nor does possessing a SS card.

You should file a FOIA for your parent's and your immigration file.

Then, possibly file an N-600.

Unfortunately, this probably won't all be done before your cruise. But, if you don't get off the ship in Canada, and go from and return to a US port, you might be OK.

Meet with an immigration lawyer to see if things can be done quickly ... you might even be able to go directly for a US passport .... still filing the 3 FOIA forms, of course.

3. Heather Louise Garvock

Pro

4

Answered . As my colleague have pointed out, you may very well be a citizen. If you know the date that your parents naturalized, you can put in a quick call to an attorney and they may be able to give you an answer.

If you are a citizen, you may obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. An attorney can help you with that or you may try to do it on your own (please keep in mind that if it is denied for any reason, you cannot simply refile this form, unlike many other immigration forms).

If you are not a citizen, an attorney can discuss a few different paths to citizenship that may be available to you and you can decide whether to pursue those avenues on your own or with the help of an attorney.

Unfortunately, all of these options are highly fact specific and you will want to discuss them with someone one-on-one.

Good luck to you!

4. Neil M. Colman

Pro

3

Answered . Although I do not practice immigration law, I believe the fact that your parents became citizens and you were a minor at the time, you are a US citizen. If you were not born at the time they entered the country, and you were born here (before they became citizens), you are a naturalized US citizen.

Neil M. Colman
    www.divlawyer@gmail.com
    586.254.1100

5. Philip Douglas Cave

Pro

3

Answered . Military service alone does not establish citizenship.
    There have been, and continue to be many foreign nationals who serve in the military, at least for an initial enlistment.

6. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

3

Answered . You should hire an experienced international immigration attorney to advise you specifically.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.
    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
    www.EstrellaLawyer.com