Am I a USA citizen ?

Kalamazoo, MI |

I was born in Ulm, Germany in a DP camp Jan, 1950, parents took a ship to USA (New York) Oct,
1950. In 1956 or 57 they became citizens in Kalamazoo, MI (Kalamazoo County) I have a social
security card and served in the US Army from 1968-1971. I was planning an Alaska Cruise and I
have no proof of citizenship. Thanks in Advance

1. Yes, there is a very good chance that you automatically became a US citizen on the day that both, or the latter of the two, of your parents naturalized.

Military service makes no difference, nor does possessing a SS card.

You should file a FOIA for your parent's and your immigration file.

Then, possibly file an N-600.

Unfortunately, this probably won't all be done before your cruise. But, if you don't get off the ship in Canada, and go from and return to a US port, you might be OK.

Meet with an immigration lawyer to see if things can be done quickly ... you might even be able to go directly for a US passport .... still filing the 3 FOIA forms, of course.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. You need to get this straightened out before you take your cruise. It may be that you "derived" US citizenship when your parents naturalized. If not, you should be apply for naturalization based on your military service.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. Military service alone does not establish citizenship.
    There have been, and continue to be many foreign nationals who serve in the military, at least for an initial enlistment.

www.court-martial.com; www.court-martial.us.com; mljucmj@gmail.com 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. As my colleague have pointed out, you may very well be a citizen. If you know the date that your parents naturalized, you can put in a quick call to an attorney and they may be able to give you an answer.

If you are a citizen, you may obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. An attorney can help you with that or you may try to do it on your own (please keep in mind that if it is denied for any reason, you cannot simply refile this form, unlike many other immigration forms).

If you are not a citizen, an attorney can discuss a few different paths to citizenship that may be available to you and you can decide whether to pursue those avenues on your own or with the help of an attorney.

Unfortunately, all of these options are highly fact specific and you will want to discuss them with someone one-on-one.

Good luck to you!

5. Although I do not practice immigration law, I believe the fact that your parents became citizens and you were a minor at the time, you are a US citizen. If you were not born at the time they entered the country, and you were born here (before they became citizens), you are a naturalized US citizen.

Neil M. Colman
    www.divlawyer@gmail.com
    586.254.1100

Mr. Colman is licensed to practice law in Michigan. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Colman strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

6. You should hire an experienced international immigration attorney to advise you specifically.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.
    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
    www.EstrellaLawyer.com

The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20 minute consultation! THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C. “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE” -- Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq. Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut The Estrella Law Firm, P.C. 75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170 Inside The Bulova Corporate Center Jackson Heights, NY 11370 T. (347) 628-2391 F. (718) 672-4728 E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com www.EstrellaLawyer.com

Military law topics