Skip to main content

Am I a US citizen?

San Jose, CA |

I have been a legal resident since 1988. My father naturalized in in 1988 also. I was 10 years old at the time. Would that make me a US citizen?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. There is a chance you may have (but might depend on your mother also naturalizing and/or other factors). This may help answer your question:

  2. Perhaps. It depends on a variety of factors. Where you in your father's custody at the time? Where you already a permanent resident and residing in the U.S. before you father naturalized?
    If you qualify under the statute you can apply for a certificate of citizenship. Contact an immigration attorney in your area to help you determine how to move forward.
    Good Luck!

    Gabriela M. Lopez, Esq.

  3. Cannot be determined on the facts posted.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  4. It depends. More information is required to answer your question.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

  5. You might be. You may want to consult with an attorney as the law is quite complex on this issue..

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics