Am I a convicted felon if I was convicted of domestic violence?

Asked over 1 year ago - Decatur, GA

In 2003, my fiancé was convicted of domestic violence and when he was in high school he had an incident where he was in the car with his friend (the driver), and he had a gun under the passenger seat and the police charged me for it. Does these two cases make him a convicted felon? How would he know if he is a convicted felon? He was never told but now he is locked up for possession of a firearm and they are trying to say that he is a convicted felon. Well is he?

1. John Arnold Steakley

Answered . Domestic violence CAN be a felony is Georgia, but isn't always.

Regardless, having a domestic violence conviction is a lifetime bar on firearm possession under federal law, even if it is just a misdemeanor.

As for the gun-under-the-seat charge, you didn't say how it turned out, only that he was charged.