Am I 100% liable for an imported food product?

Phoenix, AZ |

The scenario is such that I am importing a product packed , labeled ready to go for resale to distributors/retail stores. Is it true that - I am a 100% liable for the product since I am the importer (someone gets sick and sues the company on the label - my company) - or does the supplier in a foreign country have to bear any of the weight? Note - the supplier's establishment is registered with the FDA - is that even relevant? I am not including their name on the bottle - maybe that's what makes me a 100% liable ?

Thanks for your help!!

Any supplier who places a defective product into the stream of commerce is liable should injuriies occur. Placing the item into the stream of commerce is the legal touchstone of liability. My best recommendation is to retain a business attorney to protect yourself personally and to secure adequate insurance for your business. As a pesonal injury attorney, here is what product liability law is all about: [Blue-Link-Below]

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

Andrew Daniel Myers

Andrew Daniel Myers

You could face liability, so best bet is to get a large insurance policy so you don't lose sleep over it.

Arizona has some complex product liability laws. You could certainly find yourself being sued if you helped put an unsafe product into the stream of commerce. You should check with your insurance agent to see if you are covered for this type of lawsuit.

This answer is for general education purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is it intended to provide legal advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business