Am I "legally"separated?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Belfast, NY

My husband and I have been apart since February 2009, and have not spoken since soon after that. We never owned anything together, and have no children together. We never filed separation papers, just agreed that we didn't want to be together any longer. Its been three years, so what is the best way to go about getting a divorce?

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . No, based upon the information you've provided above, you are not "legally" separated. Nevertheless, you can still obtain a divorce quickly and without great expense. You may be able to complete the necessary paperwork on your own. Before proceeding, I strongly recommend you at least consult with a local attorney to review all your rights, options and obligations, so you can make the best possible decisions under the circumstances. You can find attorneys in your area by searching among the profiles here on AVVO. Good luck!

2. Howard A. Schwartz

Answered . One of you will have to start an action. It sounds like a fairly simple divorce. You can either hire an attorney or try to process the matter yourself. Information can be found on the office of court administration website. Good luck.

3. Jody N. Gerber

Answered . You would not be "legally separated" by just living apart. Based upon the facts you present and if both parties are willing, you should be able to obtain a fairly simple uncontested divorce which would then legalize your split.