Am I "legally"separated?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Belfast, NY

My husband and I have been apart since February 2009, and have not spoken since soon after that. We never owned anything together, and have no children together. We never filed separation papers, just agreed that we didn't want to be together any longer. Its been three years, so what is the best way to go about getting a divorce?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mary Katherine Brown


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No, based upon the information you've provided above, you are not "legally" separated. Nevertheless, you can still obtain a divorce quickly and without great expense. You may be able to complete the necessary paperwork on your own. Before proceeding, I strongly recommend you at least consult with a local attorney to review all your rights, options and obligations, so you can make the best possible decisions under the circumstances. You can find attorneys in your area by searching among the profiles here on AVVO. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more
  2. Howard A. Schwartz

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . One of you will have to start an action. It sounds like a fairly simple divorce. You can either hire an attorney or try to process the matter yourself. Information can be found on the office of court administration website. Good luck.

    I have been a criminal defense attorney in New York for over 20 years. Feel free to view my website at Brooklynlaw.... more
  3. Jody N. Gerber

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You would not be "legally separated" by just living apart. Based upon the facts you present and if both parties are willing, you should be able to obtain a fairly simple uncontested divorce which would then legalize your split.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,158 answers this week

2,316 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,158 answers this week

2,316 attorneys answering