Skip to main content

Am I allowed to have a Driver's license in Iowa after marrying to US citizen ? what are the requirements?

Cedar Rapids, IA |

I got married a couple of months ago to a USC, so we have the marriage certificate ,and i have a valid driver's license from IL, my wife from Iowa, we live in Iowa now together, and all the mail come to my address in Iowa , I have a SS card as i came to US on F1 visa ,my driving record is very clean , we didn't file for immigration to adjust my status yet , Am i allowed to get Iowa driver's license

Attorney Answers 3


Doubtful that you can get a license if you have no valid immigration status.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


once you apply for adjustment and receive your employment authorization, you should not have a problem

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Your USC spouse needs to file an Alien Relative Petition on your behalf. At the same time you need to file to adjust status and for an EAD. Once you have done this you will be able to get a driver license.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics