Skip to main content

Am green card holder since January 2011, can I bring my wife and my child to USA ? and how ?

Phoenix, AZ |

am Sudanese Coptic Cristian. I had separated from wife before i came to USA (by the lottery) , got my green card on January 13th,2011. got divorce from the court on August 2012, Now I reconciled with my wife, I have child 3 years, we need the child to grow among us. I am afraid that they face a lot of discrimination and persecution without me there

thank you, i forget that i can bring a new marriage certificate has been issued on January this year, is this can help ? also can we issue a visit visa for her and the child

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Processing can take a while, as in several years, where you file as a green card holder. In 2016, you can file for citizenship by naturalization. Perhaps, that may speed up matters, but it is unclear. In addition, it is unclear whether your wife can enter the U.S. on a dual intent visa, such as an H1-b, where she has an offer to work in a professional position.

I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney, so that you know what can be done. Otherwise, you may risk losing your green card status, where you leave the U.S. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


It probably takes several years to bring your spouse and child to the U.S. You have to file Form I-130 to USCIS. Please read the form instruction too.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.


I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer