Am going on vac for one week in aug but was told by a friend that I cant leave the us while waiting for my citizenship

Asked over 4 years ago - Boston, MA

Interview,is this true?

1. Nikiki Tavia Bogle

Answered . No, this is not true. You are able to freely travel outside the U.S. while your Citizenship Application is pending. In addition, you are only going on vacation for one week. This travel will have no impact on your application.

You will need to submit the new travel information in the Citizenship interview. You should bring a copy of the dates you departed and returned such as the ticket stub, e-ticket confirmation and your passport to present during the interview.

Sincerely,
    Nikiki T. Bogle, Esq.

Immigration Legal Team
    Bogle & Chang LLC
    Ten Post Office Square
    8th Floor
    Boston, MA 02109

Phone: (800) 342-1733 ext. 101

Email: ntb@boglechang.com

2. Renee Juanita Tello

Answered . There is no travel restriction while your citizenship application is pending. However, I would not travel for more than 6 months as that can break your continuous residence status. Further, I would submit an amendment to your application at the interview detailing the number of days spent outside the U.S. after your application was submitted.

3. Shah Iqbal Nawaaz Peerally

Answered . I will agree with my colleague. I will recommend not leaving until you get the interview, it is better. But if you have to go, you are free to go.

Good Luck
    Shah Peerally

Founder and Managing Attorney of Shah Peerally Law Group PC
    Law Firm Deals in Immigration law & Debt Relief

Note: The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer is signed by the attorney and the client.

4. Pablo Esteban Bustos

Answered . A condition for a successful citizenship application is that the applicant be living in the United States. However, that does not mean that, after you send in the application you cannot leave the United States for a short vacation prior to the USCIS Citizenship exam and interview and the swearing in ceremony.