Skip to main content

Am confused.

Las Vegas, NV |

I applied for B1/B2 visa a month before I married agreen card holder who had come back home to visit,the 2nd time in a year.The visa was to enable me come to the US to do medical lincence exams.
What happens to me at point of entry now that I have a non-immigrant visa as opposed to immigrant?
Can I choose to have my own immigration pathway,separate from my wife's?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I do not understand what you are asking. In order to get the green card, your spouse must petition you and you must wait for your priority date to become current. As an intending immigrant, you could be denied entry to the US on a B-1/B-2 visa.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You could use your nonimmigrant visa as long as you could prove that you have nonimmigrant intent. Yes, you could choose your own path.
Luis A. Guerra, Esq.
Law Office of Luis A. Guerra, PA
Atrium Centre
4801 South University Dr., Suite 252
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33328

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.


I think there is some confusion here. As the spouse of a permanent resident, you are not immediately eligible for permanent residence. There are strict numerical quotas which will cause you to wait at least a couple of years after your husband files for you before you are eligible to get your green card. If your husband is eligible to get his citizenship, you would then be immediately eligible for permanent residence. However, if you are found to have entered with "preconceived intent" (entered as a non-immigrant, with intent to remain permanently), then you could have some problems. If you get in, you would want to talk to an experienced immigration attorney for advice on planning the strategy for your case. Good luck.


You might get to keep the visa and then again maybe not. You should consult with a lawyer to go over the details.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer