Am a eligible for a U.S. green card once my U.S. citizen sister or son petitions for me?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I have had immigration viz a viz U.S visa issues in my home country. I have been placed on a visa ban - I believe under refusal category 6E based on false allegations. I have fought these allegations from day one and have proof of all the correspondences. I have since been unable to acquire a visitor's visa.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Laura Justine Jacobson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It is difficult to say for sure. One thing you can try to do in the meantime is a FOIA request to the State Department to see if you can find out the exact reason for the refusal. If they do charge you with fraud later down the road, you will need a waiver and a qualifying relative (U.S. citizen or LPR parent or spouse), which you don't appear to have at this time. Talk to an immigration lawyer now who can look at your case in more detail and give you a better idea of your options.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney... more
  2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You need to provide more detailed information. Misstating the facts on an application is a violation if law and can affect your ability to get a visa. Do consult with an experienced immigration lawyer with knowledge if US immigration law.

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It depends on what the laws are when your priority date finally becomes current. No one can predict what the laws will be 10 + years from now.

    The movement of priority dates cannot be predicted.

    For the latest visa bulletin see

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,757 answers this week

2,854 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,757 answers this week

2,854 attorneys answering