Skip to main content

Although age of majority is 19, is it possible to move out at age 18?

Andalusia, AL |
Filed under: Civil rights

When I was 8 I was in a car wreck, and a settlement from it was supposed to be given to me monthly starting when I turned 19. According to my mother, previously it had been 18, but the lawyer on the case changed it to 19. We're going to talk to Judge McGuire when we can about changing it to 18, and as I both don't want to mess up my mother's government benefits and would like to get on my feet early, I'd like to see about moving out of my mother's home and into my own place.

No one has legal custody of me, I've always been able to stay with whomever I chose. My mother is completely consenting to me moving out of her home, as is my father (who does not live with us). My settlement money would be enough to support me, and I get it in checks until I'm 25. What can I do? I turn 18 this year.

Attorney Answers 3


You can't sign a contract as a minor, so where would you rent or buy?

Mark as helpful


When you are 18- move out. Age of majority is 18.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Mark as helpful

1 comment

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III


I got that wrong! My bad. Age if majority in Al IS 19 for unmarried persons. Regret my confusion.


In the State of Alabama, the age of majority is 18. However, there is a statute that allows a minor to apply for emancipation through Juvenile Court. Of course, there are certain requirements that you will have to meet first. You should contact the Guardian Ad Litem that was appointed for the approval of your Pro Ami settlement or locate an attorney in your area that practices in Juvenile Court.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics