Skip to main content

Alternative options for 1st offense of possession of marijuana ?

Chesapeake, VA |

I am from northern Virginia where I have had plenty of friends who instead of doing the first offenders program had their lawyers make and alternate deal with the prosecutor to get the case dismissed. One friend did 100 hours of community service and took a drug class. I've heard that every jurisdiction is different when it comes to what prosecutors will typically do. I got my first possession charge in Chesapeake, Virginia and I was wondering if anyone has made a similar deal or can refer me to someone who has or can make something like this happen if it's even possible ?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Well, as you yourself pointed out, your friends all had lawyers to make their deals. You should consult with a local attorney regarding the charges and circumstances. I'll tell you that Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are the toughest jurisdictions for criminal cases in South Hampton Roads. You are not going to get a prosecutor or police officer to give you any deal without hiring an attorney to broker it, and then it's still a tough case.

    Good luck.

    Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

    James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    (757) 422-4646

    Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics