Alternate forms of serving child custody papers?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pico Rivera, CA

I filed for petition for parentage and now I have to serve my ex gf. I'm having my friend serve her but she won't come to the door to answer. Is there any other way I can serve her?

1. Natasha Kamdar Buchanan

Answered . If you cannot get the Respondent personally served after 3 attempts (on different days at different times of the day), you may have your friend leave a copy of the Summons and Petition and other filed documents at the Respondent’s place of business or residence. But you must leave the documents with a person who is in charge at the regular place of business or a competent adult (over 18) who lives at the residence of the Respondent. Your friend must inform the person of the general nature of the paperwork. Then, your friend mails a copy of the paperwork to the same address where the papers were left, so either a residence or regular business address.
    Next, the friend must fill out a “Declaration of Due Diligence”. This is a document that describes all the attempts that were made to serve the Respondent personally. The Declaration is usually attached to the Proof of Service of Summons form FL-115. Once service is complete, your friend will have to fill out a Proof of Personal Service and that will have to be filed with the court.