Skip to main content

Alternate forms of serving child custody papers?

Pico Rivera, CA |

I filed for petition for parentage and now I have to serve my ex gf. I'm having my friend serve her but she won't come to the door to answer. Is there any other way I can serve her?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you cannot get the Respondent personally served after 3 attempts (on different days at different times of the day), you may have your friend leave a copy of the Summons and Petition and other filed documents at the Respondent’s place of business or residence. But you must leave the documents with a person who is in charge at the regular place of business or a competent adult (over 18) who lives at the residence of the Respondent. Your friend must inform the person of the general nature of the paperwork. Then, your friend mails a copy of the paperwork to the same address where the papers were left, so either a residence or regular business address.
Next, the friend must fill out a “Declaration of Due Diligence”. This is a document that describes all the attempts that were made to serve the Respondent personally. The Declaration is usually attached to the Proof of Service of Summons form FL-115. Once service is complete, your friend will have to fill out a Proof of Personal Service and that will have to be filed with the court.

Please be advised that this response does not constitute "legal advice," nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel of an attorney before taking any actions or deciding not to take any actions.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer