Alred plea or not????

Asked almost 2 years ago - Mayfield, KY

if i am completely innocent of a crime being charged with a class c felony. accused of complicity to theft. the only evidence they have is what the police wrote down and said a witness said. the witness has made it known they never said it and has been threatened by the police not to testify against what the officer has said. they are offering me the alfred plea and 3 years defered probation. is this a good thing or not?

1. Frank Mascagni III

2

Answered . You need to direct this question to your attorney. I assume you have hired a competent criminal defense attorney to represent you, if not, do so ASAP!

Your attorney will assess all the facts, the government's proof, any defenses you may have, weigh the evidence and direct you to settle the case by plea agreement or go to trial by jury.

The case is North Carolina vs. Alford, 400 U.S. 25, 91 S.Ct. 160, 27 L. Ed. 2d 162 (1970), look it up online and read it. A plea per Alford, is still a plea of guilty entered by the court.

If you are placed in felony pretrial diversion and fail to complete it successfully, the felony plea/conviction will still be on your record and you could be sentenced accordingly. Know what you are doing, with advice from counsel.

2. Michael William Bouldin

1

Answered . Alford. Only plea if you are guilty or if they have enough evidence to prove you guilty. You need to discuss these options with YOUR criminal defense attorney. Hire one if you can afford counsel. If not, ask your Public Advocate.

3. Matisyahu Wolfberg

Answered . It sounds like you would benefit from an in person consultation with an attorney.

Matisyahu Wolfberg
    www.FormerCop.com
    NY Criminal defense Attorney